Elections and Electoral Roll

Ordinary Elections are held in October of every second year.

2017 Election

Councillors are elected for terms of four years in Western Australia. Elections are held every two years for half of the council and candidates are elected using the first-past-the-post voting system.Cr Jacquie Hamblin notified her intention to resign from the Council as at the date of the election.

In accordance with Section 4.55 of the Local Government Act 1995, the Returning Officer has publicly declared that at the close of nominations for the vacancies of councillor, the number of candidates is equal to the number of offices to be filled at the election.
Accordingly, the following candidates are elected unopposed and following the ballot draw the terms are as follows:

  • MOIR, Jeff        4 year term Expires 16 October 2021
  • LANG, Bevan    2 year term Expires 19 October 2019
  • BELL, Brett        4 year term Expires 16 October 2021
  • OLDFIELD, Jon    4 year term Expires 16 October 2021
  • ETHERINGTON, Sue    4 year term Expires 16 October 2021
  • HANDASYDE, Len   4 year term Expires 16 October 2021

The result has been placed on the Shire notice board and the result will be published in The West Australian newspaper on Thursday 26th October 2017 and will also be available on the Commission’s public website at www.elections.wa.gov.au

Current Councillors Retiring 2019

Cr Ken Clements
Cr Chris Pavlovich
Cr Marie O'Dea
Cr Bevan Lang

Current Councillors Retiring 2021

Cr Len Handasyde
Cr Jeff Moir
Cr Brett Bell
Cr Sue Etherington
Cr Jon Oldfield


Electoral Roll

Enrolling to Vote

You may be eligible to be enrolled to vote at the local government elections if you reside in or are an owner or occupier of rateable property in the Shire of Plantagenet.


You are automatically enrolled to vote if you are on the State Electoral Roll. If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll and meet the eligibility criteria, a claim for enrolment should be made to any Divisional Returning Officer of the Australian Electoral Commission and must be completed and reach a Divisional Returning Officer by the advised time and date. Click here to visit the WA Electoral Commission website to check your enrolment or download an enrolment form.

Non-Resident Owners/Occupiers

If you own or occupy property in the Shire, but do not reside in the Shire and are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral roll, you are eligible to enrol to vote. If you are not on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll and owner or occupy rateable property in the Shire of Plantagenet you may be eligible to enrol to vote. Please contact the Shire for details. Owners who were on the Shire of Plantagenet roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable properties to which the enrolment relates. Occupiers do not have continuous enrolment and should contact the Shire to confirm their enrolment status.

Joint Owners and Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate that owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two people who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral roll in respect of a residence outside the Shire of Plantagenet.

For further information, please contact the Shire on (08) 9892 1111.

For More Information

The Shire of Plantagenet Administration Centre is located in Lowood Road Mount Barker, 359km south of Perth and 50km north of Albany on Albany Highway.
Click Here to make a General Enquiry

Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 4.15pm
Phone (08) 9892 1111
Fax: (08) 9892 1100
Email: info@sop.wa.gov.au

22-24 Lowood Road
(PO Box 48)
Mount Barker WA 6324