Sesquicentennial Celebration – Plantagenet Road Board

Published on Tuesday, 9 March 2021 at 3:24:46 PM

Sesquicentennial Celebration – Plantagenet Road Board

 

6 March 2021 saw 28 past and present Councillors and guests commemorate the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Plantagenet Road Board.

 

The Plantagenet Road Board was established in 1871 to supervise the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges etc within the Plantagenet District.  The area covered being from Albany in the south, to the area now known as the Shire of Cranbrook in the north and approximately 100 kilometres east and west of the now township of Mount Barker.  The Plantagenet Road Board was the forerunner for the Albany Roads Board 1896, Denmark Road Board 1911 and the Cranbrook Road Board 1926.

 

Included on the menu for the day, the pre-lunch offer of a Bus Tour was taken up by just under 20 guests. The tour included the New Cemetery, Collet Barker Court, the old Depot Site, Medical Centre, both Frost and Sounness Park, the Community Resource Centre and the Town Hall/Anzac Park, before returning back to the Shire Office. 

 

From there, guests made their way to the celebration luncheon at the popular Henderson & Hwang Function Centre in Kendenup. Invitees were welcomed by Shire President, Cr Chris Pavlovich and treated to an abridged history lesson of the Shire of Plantagenet and the Roads Board by Cr Ken Clements. Friendships and acquaintances were renewed and stories told, with much reminiscing enjoyed by all in attendance.

 

Back to All News