2021 LG Elections

Elections and Electoral Roll

Ordinary Elections are held in October of every second year.

Local government ordinary elections are held on the third Saturday in October every two years. The next local government ordinary elections will be held on 16 October 2021.

The WA Electoral Commissioner is responsible for conducting all local government postal elections in Western Australia and can also conduct voting in person elections on request under the Local Government Act 1995. The WAEC is conducting the election for the Shire of Plantagenet. See the WAEC website for further details.

Councillors are elected for terms of four years in Western Australia. Elections are held every two years for half of the council, and candidates are elected using the first-past-the-post voting system. If a vacancy occurs within a term, an extraordinary election is held.

Nominations for councillor open on Thursday, 2 September 2021 and close close at 4:00 PM Thursday, 9 September 2021. Click here for more information.

Current Councillors Retiring 2021

Cr Len Handasyde
Cr Jeff Moir
Cr Brett Bell
Cr Sue Etherington
Cr Jon Oldfield

Current Councillors Retiring 2023

Cr Ken Clements
Cr Chris Pavlovich
Cr Marie O'Dea
Cr Karen Woltering

Electoral Roll

Enrolling to Vote

You may be eligible to be enrolled to vote at the local government elections if you reside in or are an owner or occupier of rateable property in the Shire of Plantagenet.


You are automatically enrolled to vote if you are on the State Electoral Roll. If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll and meet the eligibility criteria, a claim for enrolment should be made to any Divisional Returning Officer of the Australian Electoral Commission and must be completed and reach a Divisional Returning Officer by the advised time and date. Click here to visit the WA Electoral Commission website to check your enrolment or download an enrolment form.

Non-Resident Owners/Occupiers

If you own or occupy property in the Shire, but do not reside in the Shire and are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral roll, you are eligible to enrol to vote. If you are not on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll and owner or occupy rateable property in the Shire of Plantagenet you may be eligible to enrol to vote. Please contact the Shire for details. Owners who were on the Shire of Plantagenet roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable properties to which the enrolment relates. Occupiers do not have continuous enrolment and should contact the Shire to confirm their enrolment status.

Joint Owners and Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate that owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two people who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral roll in respect of a residence outside the Shire of Plantagenet.

For further information, please contact the Shire on (08) 9892 1111.