Rates and Payments

Payment methods

The follow payments are accepted:

  • By mail to P.O. Box 48, Mount Barker, 6324.
  • By telephone using Mastercard or Visa by calling 1300 276 468. Quote Biller ID 000225 and use the reference number from the rear of your rates notice as the reference.
  • In person at the Shire Administration Centre, Lowood Road, Mount Barker.
  • BPay: Contact your financial institution to make payment using your debit card. Quote Biller Code 93211 and use the reference number from the rear of your rates notice as the reference.
  • By Bpoint internet payment facility using a Mastercard or Visa. Click here and use the reference number from the rear of your rates notice in the Customer Reference Number field.

If you have any problems making payment, contact our office on (08) 9892 1111.

Request to receive rates notices via email

Click here and enter your details to have your original rates notice sent by email instead of posted. If you receive your rates notice by email, the following publications are included in the rates notice envelope:

2023/2024 Annual Bushfire Mitigation Notice

2023/2024 Recycling Calendar

Emergency Services Levy flyer

Rates brochure

Instalment options

All rates and charges are due and payable 35 days from the date of issue of the original rates notice, unless an election to pay by instalments is made. Ratepayers may elect to pay by two or four instalments. Any arrears from the previous financial year are included in the first instalment and must be paid to be accepted into an instalment plan.

A $7.50 administration fee per instalment reminder notice is payable when electing to pay by instalments. Due dates are as follows:

Single payment:

  • Original rates notice issued 7 August 2023
  • Single full payment due 11 September 2023.

Two instalment option:

  • Original rates notice issued 7 August 2023
  • First instalment due 11 September 2023
  • Second instalment due 15 January 2024.

Four instalment option:

  • Original rates notice Issued 7 August 2023
  • First instalment due 11 September 2023
  • Second instalment due 13 November 2023
  • Third instalment due 15 January 2024
  • Fourth instalment due 18 March 2024.

Seven percent per annum simple interest is charged on all outstanding rates and charges, and the Emergency Services Levy (ESL), that remain unpaid after the due date of the respective instalment reminder.

Eligible pensioners are exempt from being charged interest on deferred rates and current rates.

If you are struggling to pay your rates, please contact our Rates Officer as soon as possible on (08) 9892 1128 to discuss your options.

Pay on time to win!

Ratepayers who pay their rates in full by the 11 September 2023 due date enter the rates incentive prize draw.

FIRST PRIZE: A $750 savings account with the Mount Barker Community Bank Branch Bendigo Bank.

SECOND PRIZE: A two-night stay for two people in a premium room with full buffet breakfast each morning at the Perth Ambassador Hotel, plus complementary car parking.

THIRD PRIZE: Access to the Mount Barker Recreation Centre or Memorial Swimming Pool to a maximum value of $250.

Late payment penalty

Simple interest (charges daily) will be charged on all outstanding rates that remain unpaid after 35 days from the date of issue of the rates notice and will continue to accrue until the day before payment is made. The rate of interest on outstanding rates is seven percent. Pensioners are exempt from being charged interest. Late payment penalty interest also applies to the waste rate levy, rubbish collection charges, and legal expenses, and seven percent will be charged for ESL.

Understanding your rates

Rates are the contribution each property owner makes to services and infrastructure for the Plantagenet community. Rates are calculated annually from 1 July to 30 June.

The Shire collects rates to fund day-to-day services including the maintenance of recreational facilities such as the Mount Barker Memorial Swimming Pool and Mount Barker Recreation Centre, the construction and maintenance of roads, footpaths and trails, lighting, rubbish collection and waste management, the Mount Barker Public Library, parks, gardens, playgrounds, public open spaces and reserves, and emergency services.

Other income sources include grants from the State and Federal Governments, and fees and charges.

How are rates calculated?

Rates are a charge on your property based on its Gross Rental Value (GRV) or Unimproved Value (UV).

The valuation of your property is assessed by the State Government Valuer General's Office using the following methods:
Unimproved Value (UV) is based on the unimproved capital value of the land. It is used for farming and horticultural properties.
Gross Rental Value (GRV) is used for all other properties. It is based on a theoretical annual rental value should the property be rented to a third party. If the land is vacant, the Valuer General's Office will base the valuation on five percent of the capital value.

Rates are calculated by multiplying the rate in the dollar (set by the Council) by your property valuation. The Council sets the rate in the dollar as part of each year's budget process. It is based on the Shire's expenditure requirements, offset by in-come streams.

The Council sets a minimum rate for all properties to ensure property owners make an equitable contribution to the essential services and infrastructure provided to the Plantagenet community.

Minimum rates for the 2023/2024 Budget:
Rural Townsites (GRV) $1020
Rural (GRV) $1020
Mount Barker Townsite (GRV) $1020
Strata Titles (GRV) $1020
Rural (UV) $1050
Mining (UV) $1050.

For further information on the calculation of rateable values, click here to visit the Valuation Services website.

Objecting to your valuation

An objection to your valuation may be made within 60 days of the date of issue of the rates notice. Objection forms can be downloaded here.

Rubbish collection charge

A Waste Levy applies to all properties to fund waste management at our facilities in Mount Barker, Kendenup, Kamballup, Rocky Gully and Porongurup.

A Domestic Rubbish Bin Collection charge applies to properties that are serviced by a weekly kerbside household rubbish bin col-lection and a fortnightly kerbside recycling bin collection. Residential rural properties that do not receive this service receive a 26 token tip pass to dispose of household waste at the tip. Additional tip pass tokens can be purchased from the Shire office.

Green waste disposal is free for all ratepayers. It is accepted at the Mount Barker, Kendenup and Rocky Gully tip sites.

Who pays rates?

Rates are the responsibility of the current owner of a property. New owners and those transferring ownership have a legal responsibility to inform the Shire when a change in ownership or the address for the service of notice occurs.

Emergency Services Levy

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) is collected on behalf of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services. It funds responding to 000 calls, fire and emergency services vehicles and facilities, volunteer fire brigades, State Emergency Service units and the volunteer emergency services unit. Direct ESL enquiries to DFES Head Office on (08) 9395 9300.

Pensioners and seniors rebates

Pensioner Concession Card holders may be eligible for a rebate of up to 50 percent of their rates to a maximum of $750. Pensioners may also be eligible for a rebate of the current year’s Emergency Services Levy and water service charges. Eligible pensioners are exempt from being charged interest on deferred and current rates. 

Seniors Card holders may be entitled to a rebate of up to 25 percent of their rates to a maximum of $100. Seniors may also be eligible for a rebate of the current year’s Emergency Services Levy.

Partial concessions are available to pensioners and seniors who own and occupy their property at 1 July and become eligible during that financial year.

For further information regarding concessions, contact our Rates Officer on (08) 9892 1128.

Interim rates

You may receive an interim rates notice at any time of the year if you make building improvements on your property, subdivide or demolish a building on your property.