Building Approvals

A building permit is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels including garages, patios, sheds, residential dwellings, granny flats, extensions, swimming pools and retaining walls etc. Similarly a demolition permit is required before any demolition works can commence. If the total value of work exceeds $20,000 a permit can only be issued to a registered builder or registered owner builder. Please read through the owner builder application for more information.

Applying for a Building Permit

Anyone can apply for a building permit, the owner, builder, designer, building surveyor or any other person. The applicant provides details of the person responsible for the work, ie the builder, in the application form. The builder takes responsibility for ensuring the construction complies with the applicable building standards and the provisions in the building permit. Please refer to the Building Permit Application Check List for a comprehensive list of requirements.

There are two types of building permit applications, 'certified' and 'uncertified'. Which ever one applies must be submitted with required information and the fees payable. 

Certified Application

A certified application is accompanied by a certificate of design compliance, issued by a private Building Surveyor, and can be made for any class of building and incidental structure. The Shire has 10 business days to decide on a certified application.

Applications for Class 1b and Class 2 to Class 9 buildings must be made as certified applications whereas this is optional for Class 1a and 10 buildings and incidental structures. Information about building classes can be viewed here.

Uncertified Application

An uncertified application is submitted to the Shire without a certificate of design compliance and can only be made for Class 1a and Class 10 buildings and incidental structures.

The Building Surveyor at the Shire will check the proposal and provide a certificate of design compliance. The Shire has 25 business days to decide on an uncertified application.

Waste water

If the proposed building works involve waste water disposal (septic tanks and leach drains) an 'Application to Construct or Install an Apparatus for the Treatment of Sewage' form must be completed and submitted to the Shire with the Building Permit application. Forms can be downloaded here or are available from the Shire administration office. Refer to the Health Department's website for more information on approved waste water systems. Feel free to contact the Shire's Health Surveyor on 9892 1135 for further information.

Development Approval

Prior to submitting a building application you may also be required to seek planning approval from the Shire. Please refer to the Shire's Development (Planning) Application page for more information on this.

Bushfire Prone Areas

If your property is in a declared bushfire prone area, dependant on type (class) of building, your building permit application is required to be accompanied by a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) report. You may use the Landgate Map of Bushfire Prone Areas website link to see if that will be required or not. For more information visit the Building Commission website.

If your property is in a declared bushfire prone area the Shire will only accept a report issued by a BPAD accredited assessor. For a list of accredited practitioners visit the Fire Protection Association Australia website,  scroll down to WA and sort by location.

There is a comprehensive Guide to the building approvals process on the WA Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.  For further information please contact the Shire administration office 9892 1111.

Telecommunications in New Developments Policy

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. For more information visit the Telecommunications in new Developments website.

Building Permit Information Pack

Building Permit Application Check List 

6 Star Energy Efficiency Provisions for Housing

Becoming an Owner Builder

Application for Building Permit - Certified

Application for Building Permit - Uncertified

Building Permits and Processes

Building and Construction Industry Training Fund Information(Pay CTF online or at the Shire)

Application to Construct or Install an Apparatus for the treatment of Sewage

Information Sheet - Installation of an Onsite Effluent Disposal System

Infrastructure Bond Form

Specifications for Construction of a Vehicle Crossover

Guidance on Site and Soil Evaluation for On-site Sewage Management

Quicklinks - Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

Building Approval Forms

Building Act fees